Becoming a C2S2 member means joining an elite team of leaders with a goal of preventing species extinction. C2S2 supports its members in:
1) growing capacity for significant conservation actions
2) spreading the word about the resulting impact of collective (and individual) efforts.
Membership supports the Conservation Centers and Affiliates in growing their conservation impact and return on assets.
FULL MEMBERS are large Conservation Centers with a land base of at least 500 acres. These institutions have a conservation history, a focus on scientific research, and are dedicated to species breeding and management, especially in naturalistic surroundings with normal group sizes and minimal public disturbance.
African Lion Safari
African Lion Safari's mission is to provide an entertaining and educational environment in which to display and propagate animals in a safe manner that gives a unique viewing opportunity to all of our visitors.
Austin Savanna is an outlet of Texas Disposal Systems located in Creedmoor, Texas dedicated to environmental sustainability.
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
Fossil Rim Wildlife Center is dedicated to the conservation of species in peril, conducting scientific research, training of professionals, responsible management of natural resources and public education.
North Carolina Zoo
The goal of the NC Zoo is to encourage an understanding of and commitment to the conservation of the world's wild animal and plant species, the need for healthy natural habitats and recognition of the interdependence of people, their natural environment and its component resources
Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo
Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium's mission is to inspire, educate and engage people to serve as lifelong stewards for animals, their habitats and their conservation.
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) plays a leading role in the Smithsonian’s global efforts to save wildlife species from extinction and train future generations of conservationists.
White Oak Conservation
Committed to Saving Species. White Oak promotes endeavors in conservation through innovative science, education, training, and collaborations.
The Wild's mission is to lead and inspire by connecting people to wildlife
AFFILIATE MEMBERS are organizations (often accredited zoos, but may also be conservation-minded ranches) committed to sustainability and conservation as a priority. Each Affiliate participates in one or more of C2S2’s programs or initiatives. A representative from the Member institution serves on C2S2’s Advisory Board.
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom Park is dedicated and themed entirely around the natural environmentand animal conservation, a philosophy once pioneered by Walt Disney himself
Endangered Wolf Center
To preserve and protect Mexican wolves, red wolves and other wild canid species, with purpose and passion, through carefully managed breeding, reintroduction and inspiring education programs.
Monarto Zoo's mission is to exist to save species from extinction and connect people with nature.
To inspire a culture of understanding and discovery of our natural world through conservation, innovation, and leadership.
Oklahoma City Zoo
Oklahoma City Zoo's mission is to connect people and our world's vanishing wildlife and wild places
National Zoological Gardens
The purpose of the Animal Collections and Conservation Department is to oversee all management and husbandry aspects relating to the animal collections of the NZG, and to promote and conduct conservation activities that focus on population sustainability in ex situ as well as in situ environments.
Taronga Western Plains Zoo
Taronga's mission is to secure a shared future for wildlife and people
Rescue, rehabilitate and care for animals; create exceptional personalized experiences that connect people with wildlife and each other in fun, immersive ways.
Application Instructions for C2S2 Membership
The first step of applying for C2S2 Membership is to address the following in a ~2 page letter of intent:
1. Briefly describe: a. The number and size of land holdings and collection. b. The way your organization is structured and governed. Is your organization Public or Private? c. The plan or the mechanisms in place for continuance of your operation.
2. What are your organization’s commitments, goals, and/or philosophies regarding: a. Species sustainability and conservation? b. Teamwork, including inter-institutional cooperation, species based research and conservation breeding activities? c. Capacity building and training programs, especially for conservation breeding professionals? d. On-site and local/regional land stewardship and biodiversity conservation?
3. Are you currently affiliated with C2S2 or any of its programs? If yes, how?
4. Does your institution have a willingness to participate in financially supporting C2S2 at the designated amount ($12,500 for Full Members and $5,000 for Affiliate Members annually for a minimum of three years) as well as through participation by your staff? At the top of your letter, please include your organization’s legal name, legal address, and the name and contact information of the Chief Executive Officer.
A vote of the Board of Directors occurs within four months following receipt of the application. The Board of Directors may choose to conduct a site visit during this time. Extension of the offer to join as a Member is contingent on a unanimous vote of the Board of Directors. New Memberships become effective upon signature of the Collaboration Agreement Letter by the Chair and Executive Director and the most senior executive of the new Member institution. The length of the term is 3 years.