Becoming a C2S2 member means joining an elite team of leaders with a goal of preventing species extinction. C2S2 supports its members in:
1) growing capacity for significant conservation actions
2) spreading the word about the resulting impact of collective (and individual) efforts.
Membership supports the Conservation Centers and Affiliates in growing their conservation impact and return on assets.
FULL MEMBERS are big-sized Conservation Centers with a land base of at least 500 acres. These institutions have a conservation history, a focus on scientific research, and are dedicated to species breeding and management, especially in naturalistic surroundings with normal group sizes and minimal public disturbance.
AFFILIATE MEMBERS are organizations (often accredited zoos, but may also be conservation-minded ranches) committed to sustainability and conservation as a priority. Each Affiliate participates in one or more of C2S2’s programs or initiatives. A representative from the Member institution serves on C2S2’s Advisory Board.
Application Instructions for C2S2 Membership
The first step of applying for C2S2 Membership is to address the following in a ~2 page letter of intent:
1. Briefly describe: a. The number and size of land holdings and collection. b. The way your organization is structured and governed. Is your organization Public or Private? c. The plan or the mechanisms in place for continuance of your operation.
2. What are your organization’s commitments, goals, and/or philosophies regarding: a. Species sustainability and conservation? b. Teamwork, including inter-institutional cooperation, species based research and conservation breeding activities? c. Capacity building and training programs, especially for conservation breeding professionals? d. On-site and local/regional land stewardship and biodiversity conservation?
3. Are you currently affiliated with C2S2 or any of its programs? If yes, how?
4. Does your institution have a willingness to participate in financially supporting C2S2 at the designated amount ($12,500 for Full Members and $5,000 for Affiliate Members annually for a minimum of three years) as well as through participation by your staff?
At the top of your letter, please include your organization’s legal name, legal address, and the name and contact information of the Chief Executive Officer.
A vote of the Board of Directors occurs within four months following receipt of the application. The Board of Directors may choose to conduct a site visit during this time. Extension of the offer to join as a Member is contingent on a unanimous vote of the Board of Directors. New Memberships become effective upon signature of the Collaboration Agreement Letter by the Chair and Executive Director and the most senior executive of the new Member institution. The length of the term is 3 years.